Effective practices associated with online, collaborative projects:
- Joining a teacher more experienced in online projects for the first several online collaborative projects between classrooms in different countries
- Planning projects sufficiently far in advance to permit all partners to prepare
- Ensuring commitments from project partners
- Communicating regularly between teachers
- Having clear time lines in advance
- Using multiple communication tools, in addition to email, such as wikis, blogs, and video conferencing
- Using a project website to showcase student work and help to engage other classrooms in collaboration.