Successful elements of Literacy Block this term:
- Class novel which links with the focus area
- Comprehension strategies modelled through the use of the class novel, e.g. visualisation, think aloud, questions, predictions, etc.
- Finding examples of the focus in students individual texts e.g. dialogue – explore the punctuation patterns, similes, metaphors
- Students practising the comprehension strategies during independent reading – showing proof via post it notes, records, blog entries, goal setting and review.
- Applying author’s craft to their own work – using dialogue – characters from the class novel (Shadow Puppets), then applying this technique to their own story writing
- Using multi-media elements to communicate their story
- Reading the great student written stories aloud to the class
Expand next year by including:
- Guided Reading – as per last term, but limit to three in each group to ensure engagement.
- Regular partner reading sessions, focusing on the reading comprehension strategies
- Build in CAFE approach by involving students in regular goal setting – Comprehension, Accuracy, Fluency, Expand Vocabulary
- Develop fluency further by adding recording of students reading aloud on their blog – Audioboo, Audacity, Educreations, Show Me